Sr. Quality Engineer – Warranty
A well-established global company is offering an opportunity at their large manufacturing complex near Atlanta, GA. The position comes with excellent company benefits and a potential 1% to 2% bonus.
This role as a Senior Warranty Engineer focuses on ensuring part, product, and process safety along with warranty issues. The Senior Warranty Engineer will assist the Quality Assurance team in reviewing and investigating warranty returns, conducting root cause analysis, and resolving customer issues. They will drive product quality to meet warranty targets and minimize warranty claims.
The warranty team member will review warranty claims and manage inspection requirements, inspections, rework, and testing to meet customer expectations for improvement. They will analyze data to identify trends and issues, determine corrective actions, and make recommendations to Senior Management. The Senior Warranty Engineer will also coordinate improvement activities, implement warranty cost recovery measures, and work mostly independently with minimal supervision.
· Perform analysis of Warranty Returns and Performance
· Prepare warranty reports
· Develop warranty procedures and manuals as needed
· Lead the reliability improvement process and produce performance reports against agreed Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
· Ensure timely reporting of analysis data to customers in customer-specific format
· Communicate fault and liability information to internal and external suppliers to obtain corrective actions for warranty prevention and cost reduction
· Review suppliers' processes and manufacturing procedures, and challenge suppliers as necessary
· Negotiate liability with the customer when appropriate
· Conduct supplier evaluation audits to assess their capability to meet production requirements and eliminate warranty issues, if needed
· Conduct detailed trend analysis of warranty return parts, claims, costs, and exposure to determine corrective and preventative actions for Production and Suppliers
· Ensure lessons learned from warranty analysis are communicated across all product/customer platforms
· Assist with quality awareness training
· Report on Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to adhere to process requirements and prevent non-conformities
· Undertake special projects as required
· Contribute to continuous improvement activities
· Ensure quality control through appropriate reviews
· Support and lead process improvement activities
· Prepare reports and present progress at project meetings and to clients
· Achieve goals within budget constraints
· Conduct benchmarking studies to identify best practices and future trends
· Lead or support groups of technicians and engineers
· Provide guidance to other team members
Other Responsibilities & Skill Requirements
· Exercise substantial initiative and judgment in work methods and interpreting goals
· Work independently with minimal supervision
· Take necessary action to prevent non-conformities
· Notify Quality Engineer/Manager of quality concerns
· Provide training on changes as required
· Demonstrate good communication skills
· Participate in cross-functional teams
· Demonstrate proficiency in computer use (Excel, Word, etc.)
· Comply with industry standards and requirements
· Be adaptable to work flexible hours as needed
· Initiate disposition of non-conforming product
· Present all issues and countermeasures in monthly QA meetings
· Keep logs of defects for warranty ratings
· Demonstrate knowledge of quality systems and tools like APQP, PPAP, and FMEA
· Understand TS16949, ISO9000, and ISO14001 standards
· Have knowledge of measurement techniques and ability to read engineering drawings
· Possess strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as an understanding of cost and financial impacts
· Work effectively in a diverse and dynamic environment, with good communication, interpersonal, and negotiation skills
- A bachelor's degree in a related field with a minimum of five (5) years of experience. Proficiency in using statistical applications and measuring equipment is required. Experience in an automotive manufacturing environment, specifically in warranty management, is essential.
- Strong customer service orientation and attention to detail. Prior experience with customer portals for communication and document submission is preferred.
- Ability to work independently and support the development of other engineering staff.
- Proven problem-solving skills, with at least three (3) years of experience addressing corrective actions and conducting warranty analysis.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including leadership ability and the ability to work well as part of a team.
- Proven technical skills in quality control, including capability studies, APQP, and PPAP.
- Ability to read blueprints and measure parts accurately.
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Familiarity with Access is a plus.
May oversee sorting staff as needed
Required to sit and stand for long periods of time. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Typical office, lab, and manufacturing working conditions