Sr. Buyer – Castings
Senior Purchasing Agent - Castings
Job Location: Seneca, SC
Well established and a leading international company has a newly created opportunity in the beautiful upstate of SC for a Senior Buyer at their manufacturing and distribution facility of around 700 people which is commute distance to the west of the Greenville metropolitan area. They have many employees who have served more than 25 years, enhancing its family atmosphere and its ability to offer significant stable, long-term career opportunities. Their manufactured product is beneficial to society as well. There are major company benefits.They also offer very attractive work/personal life balance.
The Senior Buyer independently performs activities relevant to the procurement of company raw material, capital equipment, tooling, and other items in accordance with established company and departmental objectives, policies, and procedures.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate purchasing activities and set priorities to attain optimum quality, delivery, price, and terms objectives.
- Select and assemble accurate information utilizing existing requirements planning input, vendor research, and other methods for making sound procurement decisions.
- Participate in the development and analysis of purchasing information systems for the purpose of upgrading and maintaining such data. Offer recommendations for improvements and actively participate in maintaining the accuracy of relevant requirements planning tools. Periodic review and maintenance of tools to establish appropriate supplier lead-times, item classifications, safety stocks, and inventory levels.
- Establish optimum supplier sourcing arrangements for those items which procurement responsibility is assigned, by using such methods as negotiation, vendor facilities analysis, performance evaluation, value analysis, quality improvement, and other sound judgment techniques.
- Participate in internal and cross-functional teams as assigned by superiors.
- Participate in cost reduction activities and projects to achieve established savings goals for both existing and developmental procured items.
- Negotiate terms and conditions with suppliers including freight costs and other logistic issues.
- Initiate and issue purchase orders, change notices, and any correspondence with vendors as required. Act as a liaison between internal and external contacts.
- Coordinate resolution of vendor quality problems through investigation of causes, proper use of in-house expertise, vendor expertise, and outside expertise where appropriate.
- Participate in proposed sample evaluations, monitoring communicating developments to appropriate internal and external contacts, utilizing inspection reports and other data.
- Initiate internal and external communications such as letters, memos, reports, etc. as required in the performance of assigned duties.
- Guide various activities of the Purchasing staff as directed by the Purchasing Superiors to assure appropriate efficiency of the Purchasing function.
- Perform (or direct others in) necessary vendor expediting tasks to assure desirable deliveries.
- Inform Purchasing Superiors of all unusual and significant developments that occur within the assigned sphere of responsibility.
- Participate in, coordinate, and/or initiate action with Engineering, Manufacturing, and Sales to correct problematic situations.
- Occasional travel is needed to visit suppliers' facilities.
- Promote a safe workplace by performing all tasks in a safe and thoughtful manner in compliance with all rules, procedures, instructions, devices, equipment, and use of appropriate personal protective equipment. Maintain vigilance for any hazardous conditions or practices in the workplace and immediately report any unsafe conditions or practice to your supervisor.
- Performs other duties as directed.
- Creates an atmosphere in which timely and high-quality communication flows smoothly.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Outstanding customer service and negotiation skills.
- Excellent time management and organization ability.
- Outstanding attention to detail and accuracy.
- Works systematically and logically to resolve problems.
- Understanding of common business practices relating to purchasing, pricing, terms, shipment, taxes, and payment for products and services.
- Understanding of models, drawings, and manufacturing processes.
- Understanding of Lean Manufacturing Principles.
- Knowledge of the markets and commodities/component types related to assigned responsibilities.
- Knowledge of technical details of the company product.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and AS400 Software.
Works primarily in a climate controlled environment with minimal safety/health hazard potential.
- Ability to be punctual and attend work on a regular and consistent basis.
- Ability to concentrate with various interruptions and various noise levels.
- The person in this position needs to occasionally move about inside the office and shop floor to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 80 percent of the time.
- Occasional travel is needed.
- Occasionally will be expected to lift small boxes not to exceed 20 pounds.
- Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration and/or Related Field.
- 5+ years in Manufacturing, Purchasing, and/or Related Field with preferably D365 ERP experience and must have casting purchasing experience.
- Additional Continuing Education Certification in Purchasing, Supply Chain, or Related Field or a Master's Degree in Business Administration and/or Related Field preferred.