R & D Packaging Engineer
This role involves organizing, planning, managing, and executing projects related to packaging innovation, development, and cost reduction. Additionally, the individual in this position will provide support to the Supply Chain team in manufacturing packages that meet customer and consumer expectations in terms of character, cost, and quality. Building collaborative relationships with cross-functional teams, manufacturing plants (both internal and external), and packaging material vendors is a crucial aspect of this role. The person in this position will also serve as a technical resource for the organization when it comes to packaging-related matters.
- Acquire a working knowledge of problem-solving techniques employed by related functions and understand their impact within one's own area of influence.
- Take charge as the technical project leader, managing the technical timeline, providing timely communication, and outlining issues, risks, and contingency plans. Handling multiple projects simultaneously is a requirement.
- Lead packaging projects within cross-functional project teams.
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners by attending team, commercialization, and individual meetings to gain a clear understanding of the scope of work required for various initiatives.
- Conduct and coordinate functional testing, including plant trials, lab testing, shelf life studies, and evaluations of materials from vendors.
- Create written packaging specifications and produce comprehensive reports following plant trials.
- Identify, define, and resolve technical packaging challenges.
- Develop, test, and implement packaging programs across multiple project types.
- Support the development, validation, and execution of packaging productivity projects in the pipeline.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the financial impact of packaging programs and their connection to business strategies.
- Show the ability to apply knowledge to new or ambiguous situations, solve problems, and advance projects.
- Stay informed about packaging trends and new technologies.
To carry out this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below represent the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary for the role. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
BS/MS in Package Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or a related field. 5-15 years of experience in Packaging Development.